Technical skills are key to a successful career, especially soft skills as they help you to fit into the company culture and interact with other employees. They enable you to engage in meaningful interactions with others. As most jobs require teamwork, the possession of soft skills increases your chances of bagging your dream job. Being a York University Housing resident, learning soft skills will help to increase your productivity in career and build and thrive professional relationships.
What are soft skills?
“People skills” or soft skills is a set of abilities which help you to interact ambicably with others in a professional setup. They have a deep impact on your professional life.
What are the various soft skills?
- Communication: Having good communication skills can help you to put your ideas and arguments across effectively and efficiently. Listening, speaking, clear writing, concise emails, pitching ideas, creating a compelling presentation, socializing with clients and co-workers and collaborating with team members are some of the important communication skills.
- Problem Solving:Developing creative solutions to overcome upcoming issues makes you a problem solver. Critical thinking, decisiveness, questioning things and exploration are some of the qualities of problem solvers. Discussing problems objectively, examining how a problem affects the team and its productivity and coming up with solutions are some of the things you need to do as a problem solver.
- Productivity:Strategizing, organizing, planning and delivering results form a part of productivity skills. They help to manage deadlines, developing project plans, balancing multiple projects at a time and identifying factors causing delay and assessing how to address them all form the heart of productivity.
- Digital Proficiency:In this digital age being proficient with modern technology is an essential soft skill. It helps to make the most of productivity software, comfort in using both desktops and cloud-based technologies, using the internet to research and communicate and choosing the best software.
- Creativity: Coming up with innovative solutions for various problems, allows you to learn and push boundaries. Brainstorming sessions, asking questions to generate original ideas, keeping an open mind and positive attitude help to push creativity.
- Confidence: It is the belief in your ability to fulfill your goals and helps to solve problems without giving up. Confidence helps to maintain positive attitude in difficult circumstances, maintaining assertiveness while being polite and being successful as a leader.
Why are soft skills so important?
The modern workplace is interpersonal and having soft skill sets you apart from the rest of the crowd. They complement hard skills.
How to develop them?
You can enrol in various soft-skill courses at different institutions. When communicating, learn to be mindful of other person’s sensibilities. Making direct eye contact during communication assures the person that you are paying attention and makes the conversation more engaging. Monitor your body language and observe other’s body language. Practising public speaking, working on your listening skill and improving your written communication all help to develop soft skills.